Thursday, May 13, 2010

Map Projections



These are my map projections. From the three main types of projection(Conformal, Equidistant, and Equal Area) I selected certain map projections that were interesting to observe and compare. The most difficult part of the assignment was not creating the maps, but organizing them in a presentable manner. I learned more about using ArcGIS in organizing than in creating the projections.

At first, I did not realize the significance in map projections or why there are a vast amount of different projections. I was frustrated because I could not understand what certain projections were showing. For example, the hammer and mollweide projection. I thought they were basically the same thing. I was asking myself, "What was the individual niche with those individual projections and why was it significant?" I slowly understood after completing the assignment about how each individual map help in obtaining information in GIS.

A great example on why map projections is significant is with flight aviation. When I flew to countries in Europe, I never understood the route the pilot took to reach the destination. We always went through Canada and Greenland to get to the destination. I always thought it was faster just going in a straight line. I now understand looking at the equidistant conic projection. It shows how mush faster it comparing it with the sinusodial projection. I never believed the flight attendants when they said its faster but now I understand why.

There is still so much to learn about ArcGIS and map projections but as time passes, the significance increases. Through GIS, there will be new innovations created for the future generations across the globe.

No comments:

Post a Comment